Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Asia’s largest solar power project in Rewa, Madhya Pradesh. This will help reduce carbon emissions equivalent to about 1.5 million tonnes of CO2 per year.
A major milestone in India’s efforts towards promoting clean solar energy. In 2016, the largest photovoltaic power station in the world was the 850 MW Longyangxia Dam Solar Park in Kinhai, Gonghe County, China.
It was passed in 2019 in Karnataka, India with the completion of the Pavagadh Solar Park with a capacity of 2050 MW.
The leading nations in the clean solar energy sector are China and the US, which together account for two-thirds of global growth in solar energy.
Here are the ten largest solar power plants in the world:
- Tanger Desert Solar Park, China – 1,547MW
- Sweihan Photovoltaic Independent Power Project, UAE – 1,177MW
- Yanchi Ningxia Solar Park, China – 1,000MW
- Datong Solar Power Top Runner Base, China – 1,070MW
- Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park, India – 1,000MW
- Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, China – 850MW
- Enel Villanueva PV Plant, Mexico – 828MW
- Kamuthi Solar Power Station, India – 648MW
- Solar Star Projects, US – 579MW
- Pukhraj Solar Farm / Desert Sunlight Solar Farm, US – 550MW